Perhaps you have plans to start running a blog to provide information related to your business or share general or personal ideas about anything with your readers, but you do not have the finances to go for a paid blogging platform. Let your fears be allayed as there are a handful of blogging platforms that you can use to create and operate your blog without paying a dime.
This article will provide the features, pros, and cons of the best 5 blogging platforms you can use to create free blogs.
Blogspot is known as Google blogging service Blogger which is the biggest and most popular blogging platform alongside WordPress. Based on its basic features, Blogspot is one of the best platforms you can count on when you want to create a personal blog.
You have full control over the layout, content, and design of your blog. Nevertheless, its content management is under the control of Blogspot as the platform manages your contents. Factually, Google has access to your account and can shut down your blog or restrict access to it if you should violate any of their terms and conditions knowingly or unknowingly.
- Easy to manage
- Starting your blog and publishing your contents are quick and easy. You can start publishing your contents in just 10 minutes.
- Google indexes your post automatically
- The platform backs up the contents of your blog automatically
- Several customizable templates for use
- No storage limit for your contents
- You can import templates from third-party developers
- New administrators and authors can be added
- Security is handled by Google’s experienced professionals
- You can get free domain mapping if you own a domain name
- The link structure of blog posts cannot be customized
- No FTP access
- No updates of the features, so you are stuck with the default features
- Technically, the blog is owned by Google; thus, it can be shut down anytime.
- It may be necessary for you to purchase themes from third-party developers because the default ones are not beautiful
WordPress is an open source free blogging platform that offers endless customization options for bloggers. It is not owned by any company or individual, so once you get the software from WordPress.org, you are the full owner of the blog. Being a self-hosted blogging platform, monetizing your blog on the WordPress platform is easy.
This free blogging platform is more suitable for a professional or personal blog because you can customize it to suit your particular taste and needs. You can also integrate SEO plugins to the blog; thereby, making it more SEO-friendly and reaching more readers. Although setting up and running a blog on WordPress require some forms of technicality, you can get support from a rich and reliable WordPress Community to make your access and use of the platform easier. Also, you can access various videos on the internet to learn about using WordPress or hire any WordPress experts to get the job done for you.
- Linking your blog to social media platforms is easy
- Easy to monetize
- Ownership and control of the blog is great
- Thousands of extensions are available
- New editors, administrators, contributors, and authors can be added
- Themes and features can be upgraded at relatively affordable costs
- Spam control and security are already designed by the developers so you do not have to worry about them
- Access to great WordPress community for support
- No FTP access
- The link structure of the blog is not customizable
- No addition of custom scripts or codes
- Ads are displayed when the visitors are not logged in. However, you can pay $30/year to remove the ads
- Add-ons, plans, and upgrades are costly
- No addition of third-party web analytics services
- Limited disk space of just 3gig. You will have to pay to upgrade the space if many of your contents are videos or photos
- You have to pay for domain mapping if you have a domain name
This is another blogging platform that offers all the tools you need to start and run a blog for free. Based on its design, Wix favors bloggers, photographers, event hosts and planners, health and wellness websites, fashion and beauty websites, musicians and educational institutions.
Any blog using Wix is hosted on their server; thus, access to the blog is only possible through the admin panel of Wix. Notably, you can manage the content of your blog or website to an extent. Nonetheless, you will be hosted on the Wix subdomain site; hence, your blog URL will read something like “freeblogging.wix.com”. You can get a custom domain with their premium plan.
- Easy to use and customize your contents
- Mobile friendly and compatible with different operating systems
- Several professional-grade templates for use
- Rich features for e-commerce websites
- Great support community that can provide answers to any questions
- Access to hundreds of Wix templates
- Customizable layouts and designs
- You can add certain apps to your blog
- Speed and security are taken care of by the professionals of Wix
- Wix-branded ads will appear at the bottom and top of your blog. To remove the ads, you have to upgrade to a premium plan
- No custom domain name. Only premium users can get custom domain names
- Poor uptime and hosting
- No advanced features
- Difficult to change its themes
Owned by Oath Inc., Tumblr is a free blogging platform that can be used for publishing short contents. So, if you want to create a blog where you can publish short contents like quotes, images, and animated GIFs, Tumblr is your best bet. It has a customized dashboard interface that can be used for accessing the platform and managing your blog. The dashboard serves as the control room where you can publish content and comment on the blog.
If you want a seamless integration of your blog with your social media pages, Tumblr is highly recommended as you can seamlessly share your blog posts on Facebook, Tweeter, and other platforms. This platform also promotes interactions between bloggers as they can easily follow each other’s blogs.
Peradventure you want to keep your contents private, Tumblr allows you to add a password to your blog and only those with the password can access it. It also comes with various tags that ensure that users can quickly and easily find any posts they want. It can be used on different operating systems – Windows, Android and iOS.
- Easy to set up and use
- Great built-in community
- Wonderful and aesthetic themes
- Hosting and subdomain are provided
- Connectivity with Google Analytics to understand the effectiveness of your posts
- Self-sustainable; hence, you can schedule when you want your posts to appear
- Compatibility with mobile operating systems
- Limited features
- Limited design customization
- Not suitable for conventional because only short posts are allowed
- Users must depend on Tumblr servers, so any issues with their servers will affect your blog
Weebly offers tools for creating simple, easy-to-use drag and drop blogs. Since its inception in 2006, it has been providing amazing features that have drawn many users to it. With your Facebook account, Google account or email address, you can easily and quickly sign up for Weebly and start blogging for free. The loading speed of the blog is one of the most interesting features of this free blogging platform.
Nevertheless, it does not have the advanced functionality that you may find in other blog builders such as WordPress. So, others are better than Weebly in this regards. Overall, it is a fantastic and functional blogging platform for anyone who wants to start blogging for free.
- Easy to use
- Amazing themes are available
- Perfect for e-commerce solutions
- Built-in security and amazing speed
- Integration of third-party features is easy
- Poor content management system
- Only 500 MB and 10-pages worth of contents can be stored. To increase the storage capacity, you need to buy a paid package. The cost of paid packages vary from $8 to $45 per month
- Platform lock-in option makes the content migration to other blogging platforms difficult
- It functions better for building websites than blogs
- No incorporation of your ads. All ads are added by Weebly itself.
Having known the best 5 blogging platform that you can use for free, you can now get started with owning a blog and publishing your contents.